Saturday, January 3, 2009

A George Carlin Quote

George Carlin once said, "People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point."
Now George was a weird and dangerous and angry man, but he was also a thinking man. Whether or not you accept his hypothesis isn't important to me. I only ask that you consider it by thinking about it for a while.
My Nightcatchers and most of my other Stuff are designed to have fun with life. There are way too many people taking life way too seriously. I took life seriously for a spell, and then during my year in the wilderness, a revelation hit me: I took life seriously because I took myself seriously, and I wasn't really all that important.
A good exercise in humility is to go out on the porch, look up at the stars, and see as much of the universe as you can. Try to find how big you are in proportion. Imagine yourself to scale.
Every year, as I slowly and painfully convert knowledge into wisdom, I discover that my sense of self-importance is still just a tad high.

I never was as important as I used to think I was.

No comments: